The Good Eats Company, Richmond VA
serves four as first course
- three large sweet peppers, cut 1 inch dice (one each red, orange, yellow) 3/4 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- finely ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 soft dried figs (Calimyrna or black mission), stemmed and halved
- 1/2 T Chocolates by Kelly chocolate balsamic vinegar
- 4 c arugula, washed and dried
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut in small cubes
- one large clove garlic, grated
- 1 1/2 T Chocolates by Kelly chocolate balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T finely minced fresh basil
- pinch fine sea salt
- In large heavy sauté pan, toss peppers and onion with oil, salt and a pinch of white pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add water, figs and 1/2 tablespoon chocolate balsamic vinegar, stir well, then cover and cook over low heat another 10 minutes.
- Cool mixture to room temperature.
- Make vinaigrette : place wet towel under mixing bowl for stability and whisk together garlic, chocolate balsamic vinegar, basil and sea salt; whisk in olive oil.
- Gently toss together pepper mixture with vinaigrette.
- Divide arugula among four plates, portion pepper mixture atop greens and top with mozzarella cubes.
- Peperonata will last in the refrigerator up to 1 week.